Heritage Community Charter School (HCCS) offers students in the Caldwell and Vallivue School Districts and the surrounding area a classical liberal arts education based on the Core Knowledge Sequence with a strong focus on second language acquisition through a Spanish immersion program in grades K-2 (2012-2013) School Year.
The Vision of Heritage Community Charter School…
…is to create:
- High Academic Achievement
- Continuous Love of Learning
- Communication that is Effective
- Safe and Respectful Environment
The Mission of Heritage Community Charter School…
…is to create an atmosphere of mutual respect where students feel safe and are challenged to become their best selves as they develop a curiosity and love of learning that will continue throughout their lives and prepares them for post-secondary education, careers, and service in their communities as well educated leaders who desire to preserve a democratic society and who act with integrity and character.
- We believe all students should enjoy and be excited about learning.
- We believe all students can contribute to the classroom and learning environment.
- We believe HCCS students will understand and embrace their American heritage and foundations of Western civilization.
- We believe it is important for each HCCS student to understand and value his/her own heritage as well as respect the diversity within our community.
- We believe students should graduate from HCCS able to communicate fluently and effectively in more than one language.
- We believe all students will be able to succeed at HCCS and in post-secondary education.
- We believe all members of the HCCS community should be involved in meaningful community service.
- We believe the HCCS board, staff and students will create a culture that promotes respect and values learning.
- We believe that HCCS will create a culture that promotes sharing of opinions and encourages dialogue in which different opinions are respected.
- We believe HCCS board members and faculty should model the core characteristics of HCCS which are Self Discipline, Compassion, Responsibility, Friendship, Work, Courage, Perseverance, Honesty and Loyalty.
About Heritage Community Charter School
HCCS is a tuition-free public charter school opening in the Caldwell School District for the fall 2011 school year. The focus of HCCS is a classical liberal arts education with a strong foreign language emphasis through an immersion program.
Grades K-5 will use the Core Knowledge Sequence in a dual language Spanish immersion program classroom. Students who enter Heritage Community Charter School in kindergarten will be bi-literate and bilingual when they graduate from the fifth grade.
The secondary program will continue a strong classical liberal arts focus and secondary language acquisition skills as students in 6-8th grade begin studying Latin. Grades 9-12 started in 2011 as a pilot program with a small group of 40 students. The secondary program will continue to grow to full enrollment capacity of sixty students in each grade by the 2017 school year.
Classical Education and Dual Language Immersion Classrooms…What does it look like?
A language immersion program can blend beautifully with a classical liberal arts education. The video below shows how these concepts work together through the students’ years at the New Horizons magnet school in Nampa.
HCCS Attendance Area
Heritage Community Charter School is located in the Caldwell School District in Caldwell, Idaho. However, those interested in a strong liberal arts education with a secondary language focus can apply even if they live in surrounding areas such as Boise or Meridian that are outside the primary attendance area. A map of the primary attendance area is available here.